New Moon Update: August 2020
Today, Tuesday 18th, is the New Moon day for the month of August, 2020. The next uposatha day will be the Full Moon which falls on Wednesday 2nd September.
The sangha at Harnham have been taking more time to be on retreat recently. Restrictions imposed on us because of the pandemic mean we remain in fairly strict lockdown. This includes the two samaneras who will be travelling to Amaravati for their upasampada in early September being in very strict quarantine for a few days before departing.
From Sunday September 6th, our monastery will be opening up to a small degree.
• There will be a monk in the car-park down by the lake, available to receive offerings e.g. dry goods, fresh fruit and vegetables.
• For two days each week – Sundays and Wednesdays.
• Between 10.30 and 11.00 am.
• A limited number of cars allowed each day.
• You do need to book before coming.
• Either email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01661 881 612
Kindly note that this is a trial to see how well it works. We appreciate that many of our friends and supporters have been missing the opportunity to visit the monastery so we are experimenting to see what we can do that doesn’t compromise the safety of those living here and our visitors. May we emphasize that it is necessary to book before coming out. As indicated above, only the cars of those who have booked will be permitted to enter the car-park.
Please also be aware of the following -
• There is no limit on the number of people, just the number of cars.
• Before you get out of the car you must already be wearing a face mask.
• Please be sure to maintain social distancing at all times.
• When you arrive there will be a table set out and someone to explain how to make your offerings.
• You are welcome to go for a walk around the lake, observing the anti-clockwise ‘one-way’ system.
• You are welcome to make offerings of flowers and incense at the Buddha image beside the lake.
• The monastery property on top of the hill is still closed to visitors
Hopefully all these restrictions won’t put you off wanting to visit. It is our hope that if this system works well we might be able to open up a bit more.
In the meantime, our Evening Puja is still live streamed every night except Monday and you are warmly invited to join us.
For live-streaming evening pujas , 7pm BST