Hilltop Newsletter: Monday 17th July, 2023
Today, Monday 17th, is the New Moon for the month of July 2023.
The next Uposatha Day will be the Full Moon which falls on Tuesday, 1st of August, 2023.
We have recently enjoyed the company of two Ajahns from Amaravati Monastery. Firstly, Ajahn Khemaka arrived towards the end of June and led a weekend lay retreat. Since then she has been here on personal private retreat and will return to Amaravati on the 19th of this month. Ajahn Nyanarato was with us from the 6th until 12th of July. He also led a lay retreat.
On the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of July, we were glad to welcome three senior Thai monks, Luang Por Lai, Luang Por Chalee and Ajahn Meng. Nearly one hundred lay friends and supporters participated in a gathering on the Sunday.
On the evening of Sunday, 2nd July, a Dhamma talk titled, Happiness in the Midst of Unhappiness, was given. It discussed the experience most people have of there being something missing, and that that something is a conscious relationship with their own heart.
- This coming week we are expecting two Thai monks, Ajahn Sangvorn and Tan Porshe, to join us from 18th until the 20th.
- On Saturday, 29th July, 1 pm, there will be the AGM and Directors Meetings of the Harnham Buddhist Monastery Trust (HBMT).
- A Lake Work Day is planned for Sunday 30th July.
- Asalha Puja this years falls on Tuesday 1st of August.
- The resident sangha will enter our Annual Rains Retreat on Wednesday 2nd August.
- On Sunday 6th August, a Meditation Class will be held at Kusala House, as usual for the first Sunday of the month.
- A project to reconstruct the nesting island on the lake is planned for 12th - 13th August. Please check our calendar for any updates.
The photos below show the pleasing result of all the work that has gone into cultivating the lake property over approximately the last twelve years.
With good wishes,